Saturday, June 1, 2013

Prepping for Ranked Lesson #1: Knowing When Not to Play

I was going to write a guide on how to play ranked today, and chronicle my experiences over the day. I was all set to go, and could have played ranked if I wanted to.

But I didn't.

Why?

Because I knew I was in a toxic mindset. I'd had kind of a rough day, and fed hard the night before. I was disgruntled and disgusted with the league community and had lost promo the night before. So instead of playing in a bad mood, I didn't play at all.

Welcome to League Ranked Lesson #1: If you're in a bad mood, don't play ranked.

Let me tell you a story.

I was at 99 points in silver 1, and won my final game. I entered into promo for gold.

I got matched with 3 teams in a row with an afker each game. I was jungle. Mid and bot fed (or top depending on the game) all 3 games were uncarryable. I. Was So. Mad.

What did I do? Continue to play non stop over the weekend.

What happened? This is the kicker, and the part you can learn from:

I lost 26 games in a row. 26. In ranked.

See, I had given up, become toxic, raged at my teammates and fed. I just didn't care anymore and my play reflected it.

No matter how ready you think you are, if you're in a bad mood it's not a good idea to ranked.

Why? Because each game your patience will be tested in some way, shape or form. It may be tested a lot (0-17 bot lane within 14 minutes) and if you're toxic, you'll convince your whole team to surrender vote, make them hate you and probably end up feeding yourself.

I wish I could go back and say "hey, dude, take a break. You'll get there. Now is not the team to try to grind back up to promo".

Well, at least now I can say that to you.

I intend to write one of these a week. More if interest starts to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment